The GIR5000 series analysers are ideal for biogas applications. These gases are usually a mixture of methane (CH4) and carbon dioxide (CO2) together with oxygen (O2) and hydrogen sulphide (H2S) which have implications for efficiency and safety.
Two or three gas versions are available in a variety of configurations and all are ATEX certified.
Methane and carbon dioxide are both greenhouse gases (GHG). Methane is an important fuel gas for CHP engines, if not used as fuel then it is flared off to produce the less harmful carbon dioxide. Hitech use NDIR sensors to measure methane and carbon dioxide. These are sensors specially designed to withstand the damp, corrosive atmosphere often found in these applications.
Oxygen is an important process indicator in both landfill and digester gas. In landfill gas, a low reading might indicate the presence of an underground landfill fire, whilst a high reading may indicate over extraction from the site. In digester gas, a high reading may indicate a decrease in microbial activity due to poisoning. For this application Hitech use a special electrochemical cell designed for use in the presence of acidic gases, e.g. carbon dioxide.
Hydrogen sulphide is present in landfill and digester gas in varying amounts depending on the substrate composition. Hydrogen sulphide can be extremely corrosive to generator sets and continuous measurement can prevent costly damage. Hitech have developed a unique system which allows for continuous measurement of H2S. At 2000ppm H2S, good sensor lifetime can still be achieved.
Sample conditioning is important in the variable conditions encountered in this application. Hitech provide internal filters, an internal pump and low-flow alarm as standard. An external coalescing filter is highly recommended and cooling options can also be offered to remove water. The enclosure itself contains a small heater to ensure that water vapour does not condense in the analyser. Hitech are ready to recommend complete systems on receipt of full gas stream specifications.
Contact AMS Instrumentation & Calibration Pty Ltd
Thank you for your enquiry! AMS Instrumentation &
Calibration Pty Ltd will be in touch as soon as possible.
Sorry, there seems to have been an error.
Please double check your details and try again.
- Multi-Variable Vortex Flowmeter for Cost-Effective Mass Flow & Energy Measurement
- FCI ST100 Flow Meter Receives ATEX & IECEx Approvals
- New RRS Optical System Gives Michell Chilled Mirror Hygrometer Exceptional Response to Trace Moisture
- Capping Your Production Costs
More Articles From AMS Instrumentation & Calibration Pty Ltd
- Mass Flow in Flare Gas Measurement
- Dual Function FS10i Flow Switch/Monitor Performs Double-Duty In Air Or Other Gases To Cut Plant Costs
- FCI Flow Switch Ensures Accurate Chemical Injection or Additive Monitoring for Process Control and Quality
- Next-Gen MT100 Air/Gas Flow Meters For Large Diameter Pipes, Stacks and Ducts