Michell Instruments has issued a white paper, Advances in Optical Techniques for Moisture and Hydrocarbon Detection, which discusses how new optical sensing techniques for processing natural gas will help the industry face current challenges.
Newly emerging gas sources – such as shale gas and biogas – are helping to meeting the world wide demand for natural gas, but bring new challenges to the processing industry. All raw natural gas varies in composition when it is extracted but these new sources vary much more rapidly and over more extreme ranges. Although methane is the main component, the wellhead gas also contains amounts of other hydrocarbons such as propane, butane and some heavy hydrocarbons. There are also varying quantities of other contaminants such as water, nitrogen, hydrogen sulphide and carbon dioxide. Shale gas in particular can have far greater dynamic variation in its constituent hydrocarbon composition, and also often contains far higher levels of contaminants such as CO2 and water than is typical from natural gas originating from other sources.
The challenge to the processing industry is being able to treat these different compositions of raw gas to meet the same international standards before it is injected into the transmission pipeline. The developments in new optical sensing techniques discussed in the white paper by Michell, show how increased sensitivity in detection limits in optical sensing methods – including both chilled mirror for hydrocarbon dew point and laser spectroscopy for moisture measurements, will help processors to meet the guidelines.
Contact AMS Instrumentation & Calibration Pty Ltd
Thank you for your enquiry! AMS Instrumentation &
Calibration Pty Ltd will be in touch as soon as possible.
Sorry, there seems to have been an error.
Please double check your details and try again.
- New Cost-Effective Analyser Gives Maximum Flexibility
- New Compact Portable Hygrometer with Fast Response
- Compact Portable Hygrometer with Fast Response
- SWR Appoint Bulkquip as NSW Distributor
More Articles From AMS Instrumentation & Calibration Pty Ltd
- Mass Flow in Flare Gas Measurement
- Dual Function FS10i Flow Switch/Monitor Performs Double-Duty In Air Or Other Gases To Cut Plant Costs
- FCI Flow Switch Ensures Accurate Chemical Injection or Additive Monitoring for Process Control and Quality
- Next-Gen MT100 Air/Gas Flow Meters For Large Diameter Pipes, Stacks and Ducts